As an industry, it’s important that we stay reminded of a greater purpose beyond the bricks and mortar of construction: creating the kind of world we want to live in. So in keeping with the season, we wanted to shine some light on one of BuildingConnected’s customers that truly embodies the spirit of giving back to the community.
Here’s a look at how SC Builders makes serving others not just a priority, but a core part of their corporate DNA.
Giving back as a shared company value
When asked why they choose to support such a vast array of charitable efforts, Sam Abbey (President and Co-founder of SC Builders) said, “Our industry exists to build our communities, and giving back is an extension of that passion: it’s an investment in our community.”
Charitable giving is a key part of the company’s identity. It’s even written in their values that every team member commits to upon joining — “Give back to the community through volunteering time, money, and resources” — and that guiding principle extends all the way to the top. Abbey himself took time off from construction to join the Peace Corps and spent time working in Africa and South America improving the lives of others. Like Abbey, the SC Builders team continually finds ways to donate their time and skills to those in need.
Some of the causes and organizations they support
The team’s commitment to giving back has continued over SC Builders’ 19 years in business through both volunteer work and financial support for a wide variety of causes and organizations. These are just some of their programs throughout the year:
- Corporate Charity Matching Program. SC Builders matches employee contributions up to $500 each year per employee to support charities that are making the world a better place.
- Bocce Charity Event. SC Builders staff and clients compete annually in bocce; winning teams choose charities to receive a donation. In the past, the charities supported have included St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, the ALS Association, Operation Smile, and Habitat for Humanity.
- Day on the Beach. During this event, over 300 people with special needs, 400+ family members and friends, and over 250 volunteers share a day of adaptive sports (e.g. kayaking, outrigger canoeing, SCUBA diving) at Cowell’s Beach in Santa Cruz. This year, the SC Builders team helped build plywood platforms so those with special needs could enjoy the beach fully.
- Coat & Food Drive (Sacred Heart). The team collects food and gently used clothes during the holiday season for those in need.
- Holiday Wish Drive (Family Giving Tree). The team gifts wishes purchased for children and individuals in need throughout the Bay Area.
- Playhouse Build (Habitat for Humanity and Blue Star Moms). The team builds and decorates playhouses that are donated to local families in the military. Money donated supports building homes for families.
- Dreams Happen Playhouse Build (Rebuilding Together). Partnering with an architect, the SC Builders team created a unique playhouse which was auctioned; all proceeds supported home repairs for people in need.
- Big Bike Build (TurningWheels for Kids). Over 1,000 volunteers assemble 2,500 bikes for charity organizations across the Bay Area.
A team that truly embodies the spirit of giving
We couldn’t be more proud of SC Builders and their commitment to the Bay Area community and beyond. Currently, the team is working hard to raise funds for those affected by the Camp Fire in Northern California.